Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 6: A Recipe

Yesterday was the first day of fall break. But look what we woke up to...
There was a dusting of snow everywhere! Is it fall, or is it winter? Lovely Colorado weather!

Hot chocolate was in order to celebrate the seasons and the first day of vacation.

As I was making hot chocolate for the kids {no sugar for this mama}, I was inspired! Since I had only one packet of mix for one child, I decided to go old fashioned homemade for the other. {Just to keep everyone happy.} And then it hit me....I could make hot chocolate with stevia {a no calorie, plant-based natural sweetener} for me, and now this mama could be happy, too!!!

Stevia? I was first introduced to stevia years ago from my super inspirational college friend, Michelle. We share a lot in common. Grew up in the Midwest, raised with wonderful Scandinavian traditions {translation: very unhealthy foods!} and a love for people and yummy foods...not to mention gourmet coffee. We met each other {and Jesus again} at college. After college and getting married, she and her hubby moved off to beautiful Seattle, Washington. Must be something about the mountain air, because after she got pregnant with twins, she was determined to get healthy, run 5k's and triathlons, and climb mountains with her grandbabies someday. She was my first inspiration to healthy living.

So when she first introduced me to stevia, I honestly thought it was a little weird. But over the years it has grown on me slowly, and it's not new anymore so I'm not as scared. {Did I mention that I'm a girl that doesn't do too well with change?}

I'm thankful for Michelle for introducing me to stevia and the pleasures of hot beverages.

Stevia Hot Chocolate is soooooooo easy!

Here's the recipe:
1 cup skim milk
1 T. cocoa powder
1 small packet of stevia {I used truvia, which is from the stevia plant}
a few drops of vanilla
a pinch of sea salt
Combine in small saucepan and heat on stove to desired temperature. Just don't scald your milk!

Only thing that would make this any better would be some caramel to turn this into more of a Salted Caramel Mocha. But that would kind of be defeating the purpose, right?

Today we're off to football games, and now I can have this yummy fall drink!

Interested in Truvia, a zero-calorie sweetener made with the best tasting part of the stevia plant? Check it out and let me know how it inspires you!

I'm writing for 31 days of {Healthy} Living this month.
Join me and let's LIVE! Check out the end of Day 1 for the link to all the posts.


No comments: