Friday, May 27, 2011

Spring Cleaning My Heart


I'm no Martha Stewart or Fly Lady, and in the push to finish our school year at home, I've kind of just let routine cleaning or organization fall by the wayside. So this week I've been picking up the pieces and dwelling on peace as I do some much needed housework.

And it's amazing to me how good it feels to deep clean a bathroom or reorganize a closet.

So good in fact, that I finally realized the simple secret to reorganizing my cabinets. Completely empty them out. Sort, throw away, limit, and carefully replace only what is necessary. Voila!

And I'm also realizing how vital this is to my peace journey.

Stop the treadmill. Empty the schedule. Sort through what's important. Set better limits. Prioritize what truly is necessary. Pray about everything. Everything. But most of all, trust God. For trusting Him is the pathway to perfect peace.

So while my home does not have to be squeaky clean or picture perfect to be peaceful, I am realizing that when I let the chaos of my home {and heart} collect, clutter, and overwhelm me, it is often true that I have also neglected to keep my mind stayed on Jesus, my Prince of Peace. I've made things more important than people. And I've allowed worry or fear to replace my trust in God.

Isaiah 26:3 says it simply: "You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You."

It's kind of like spring cleaning in the summer. Spring cleaning my home. Spring cleaning my heart.

1 comment:

Heather Mattern said...

LOVE this! I just did a series on detoxing and this fits right in regarding where my thoughts are lately. This spring cleaning of the heart. Love it!