Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Happy Syttende Mai!

Happy May 17th!

Happy Norwegian Constitution Day!

To celebrate, we made a dala horse cookie cake (which I guess is traditionally Swedish, which is a little ironic). But I found these sweet dala horse cake pans at Ikea this past summer, so I had to have an occasion to use them.

They are Scandinavian, though, and that's good enough for me.

Aren't they cute?

I love this yummy cookie recipe I found at allrecipes.com, but I'm not sure we'll be using baking it in the dala horse pans again. Next year we'll just try a regular cake recipes. {There's reasons why I'm not posting pictures of our dala horse cookie cake...maybe it'll still taste okay, though?}

It's the perfect day to remember back to 3 years ago when my children had Norwegian Heritage classes with my very Norwegian grandmother. She even made bunads for them to wear during our visit to their home in Lake Mills, Iowa. It was a special time.

Both of my grandmothers (and one of my grandfathers) are wonderfully Norwegian, and I'm thankful. I have fond memories of growing up with lefse and meatballs, and yes, even lutefisk. They have preserved the traditions and stories of our ancestors well. I love them, and I love my heritage.

No comments: