Saturday, April 2, 2011

Simple Gift


She quietly pulled me aside and whispered, "Kara, I have a gift for you." In my hands she placed a small, simple diary, complete with lock and key. It reminded me of something I once had as a young girl filled with childish hopes and future dreams.

"Why?" I asked. It wasn't my birthday. It wasn't Christmas. It was just an ordinary day, but this was out of the ordinary.

"I want you to record in this journal all the verses that remind you of how God loves you. And then I want you to go verse by verse and pray that God would help you to love your husband in the same way that He loves you."

My eyes welled up with tears. She knew my struggles. She knew how often I had rejected God's extraordinary love and how I had failed to love my husband well. She knew, but she didn't condemn. She filled my heart with hope that day. Her simple gift changed everything. And I am forever grateful.

No comments: