Friday, June 10, 2011

A Recipe for Peace

{Writing her own Bible verse on the doorposts of our home}

Did you get dressed today?

Or did you forget something?

I get dressed everyday (thankfully), but many days I forget to put on what's most important.

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. {Colossians 3:12-14}

This verse is even written on the doorposts of my home. Literally. Several years ago when we built our home, we chose verses for the rooms and wrote them on the wooden frames all around the house. This was the verse I picked out for the door frame of my closet so I wouldn't forget to put on what was most important. And yet day in and day out, I do forget what is more important than finding the right shoes, the cute shirt, the clean socks...I forget over and over. I forget and forget.

And now I am realizing this is the path to peace. Putting on love, humility, forgiveness, and patience. To remember. This is how peace rules in my heart. Letting the peace of Christ, the very presence of God, have kingdom authority in my heart. Here is my recipe for peace.



2 comments:

Melissa said...

love it!

christan perona said...

Ah, yes. His authority... our peace. Why must we learn this over and over? I'm with you, my friend.